Hutt City Kindergartens is a great place to work... just ask our teachers!
Whether you’re starting your career in early childhood education, or an experienced teacher, choosing a position with us is an excellent choice. When you join our team you become part of a strong network of committed and passionate professionals - all focussed on ‘growing young learners’.
As one of our kindergarten teachers you will enjoy:
- Working alongside other enthusiastic and fully qualified teachers.
- Support from a team of Senior Teachers. They regularly visit Kindergartens to provide practical, professional support to individuals and teams to enhance teaching practice.
- Ongoing professional and learning development - giving you free access to a wide range of courses and workshops.
- Pay parity with primary school teachers.
- Access to all the resources you need to do a professional job, including well-resourced kindergartens, ICT, professional support and development. In addition you will network with a team of educators who are passionate about delivering excellence and who care about children and their families.
- Access to our Certification Programme. For newly qualified teachers we offer a thorough 2-year programme to support you towards full certification. You will join a network of other teachers for regular professional learning and development, have your own individual mentor, as well as access to funding to allow you to take release time, attend courses or purchase resources - all with the goal of becoming fully registered.
In order to apply for a Teaching position, you will need:
- A Diploma or Bachelor Degree in Early Childhood Education - or equivalent qualification as assessed by NZQA.
- A current Practicing Certificate issued by the Teaching Council of Aotearoa New Zealand which is either Full, Subject to Confirmation or Provisional
- A current First Aid Certificate
- To be legally entitled to work in New Zealand
All our teaching staff are covered by the pay and conditions as stated in the National Collective Employment Agreement for Kindergarten Teachers.
As a member of our teaching staff you are able to join NZEI - the union that supports ECE teachers. Find out more about NZEI
We encourage applications from Early Childhood Education graduates who are nearing the end of their qualification. Kindergarten experience is not essential when applying for positions. Employment of a new graduate will be conditional upon being granted provisional certification.
To keep in touch with what’s happening at Hutt City Kindergartens simply sign up for our newsletter.
To view any current vacancies please click here.
Interested in a career as an early childhood teacher?
We welcome enquiries from anyone considering a career in early childhood teaching. We can support you to visit some of our kindergartens to experience what this career choice can offer you.
For more information on studying to be a teacher and what is available to you, please visit https://www.teachnz.govt.nz/
Hutt City Kindergartens is 100% Smokefree
We are committed to the government's goal that by 2025 fewer than 5% of New Zealanders will be smokers. This will be achieved by:
- protecting children from exposure to tobacco marketing and promotion
- reducing the supply of, and demand for tobacco
- providing the best possible support for quitting.